Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much to pay for 12 hour day!

re : How much to pay for 12 hour day!           reply
19/11/2013 20:21 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
I work 11hours per day, 5 days per week minding a 3year old and 10mth old in my own home. I am paid €40 per day.

17/11/2013 14:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
around 60 a day.in minders home.70 in your home

re... : How much to pay for 12 hour day!           reply
19/11/2013 22:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Looking after 2 children 11 hours a day for 40.00 euro is a disgrace. The going rate is 8.00 for two children, so you should be getting at least 80.00 per day.

19/11/2013 08:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
if its a baby then 75 a day in minders home and 95 a day in your home

19/11/2013 23:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes I agree with Doodyls, about €60 in minders home or €70 in yours. Hope that helps!
Can I just add that I feel sickened for the lady being paid €40 per day for 2 kids x 11 hours. OH MY GOD!!! Why would that parent pay so little. That´s just disgusting! Sorry but I´m really annoyed for her.

20/11/2013 12:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Unfortunately your employers are not being fair to you, they are taking advantage of you and im sure everyone on schooldays will tell you the same. You should be paid 8.00 euro per hour for minding two children, simple as that. If they cant afford childcare, they should stay at home. Also, you should be paid for their sick days and any days they decide to take off. It doesnt matter what their friends say. I childmind for a guard and a nurse, I am paid for their sick days, or days that they decided they want to stay with their children. I take my holidays at the same time every year, and they do the same, so I dont have that problem. I would strongly advise you to tell them that they are underpaying you, and see what happens from then, either way you would be better appreciated elsewhere. Good luck.

06/01/2014 18:20 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i would charge 50 per day for this ..

07/01/2014 09:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Sorry I over calculated the salary, but your calculating 95 per day take home which in the real world works out as 35k per year, for me to earn 95 per day I must earn 35k as a paye employee and with tax, USC and prsi deductions I would earn the equivalent of 95 per day, I just feel that some people are talking all about take home pay which in the paye world is much different, I seen 20 an hour discussed earlier, that´s 800 per week take home which works out as about 60 k paye to take that money home. That´s an excellent salary in any industry so when throwing around numbers remember that 10 per hour into the hand is actually around 16 per hour in the real world as you would be forced to pay tax etc!!!

21/11/2013 16:54 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Far from gas as the previous poster put it, 20.00 an hour to look after 4 children, do school runs, and light housework is a fair price, not gas., It is extremely hard work, but very rewarding. So to those of you who think its an unreasonable price try it sometime, you will soon find out how hard it is.

21/11/2013 10:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thats gas. I don´t get paid 20 euro an hour and I have spent 75h years studying for my qualification. I´m in the wrong job!

06/01/2014 22:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yep 24.700.for 45.000 your talking around 182 euro a day

21/11/2013 11:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thats gas. I don´t get paid 20 euro an hour and I have spent 75h years studying for my qualification. I´m in the wrong job!

24/11/2013 11:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
As a qualified nanny I would charge 5 euro per hour in my own home so 60euro per day for a 12 hour day with parent supplying baby formula, nappies etc. if I were to go to baby´s house I would charge 10 euro per hour plus expect to be employed with my prsi covered and would only expect to tidy as I go after baby and look after babies needs e.g laundry, cooking. I would also expect holiday pay. This is what I charge personally and am registered. I have never been out of work and have spent many amazing years with my families. Hope this helps.

20/11/2013 11:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
that would work out at.around 18 euro an hr.maybe 20 euro.as there will be some cleaning.you will also have to cover petrol.usage.for school drop of and pick up.

06/01/2014 16:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
95 per day, Are you paying TAX on this income. Because 95/Day works out to be about 45K per year salary. Thats a pretty good salary!!!!!!

20/11/2013 12:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
unfortunatly my employers feel they are more than fair, I would not charge them full whack anyway as it just works out too expensive for them to bother working. I am happy enough with the wage but would like to be paid for their holidays, sick days, obviously not when I take time off. This is something they have a huge issue with as they do not feel I should be paid when i am not working, however I feel I charge a very fair rate to allow for this. I would appreciate some opinions on this. My employers have asked friends and have come to the conclusion that paying for days the childredn are not there is not the norm. They are asking people on irregular shift patterns and teachers which are not the same In my opinion as someone working a normal 8 hr day, 5 days a week.
apologies for taking over your thread op!

07/01/2014 10:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I understand what you are saying but childcare is my profession and I studied hard in college for my degree and I do pay tax, prsi and USC and I don´t think at a take home of 10 euro per hour I am overpaid. I am employed but most childcare workers are self employed and have overheads e.g heat, electricity, petrol, food and materials. not to mention insurance, first aid and other training. i have been self employed and believe me this all add up to a fair amount so real take home pay is significantly reduced. Just add 3 more children into your household full time and watch your costs soar. The cost of childcare is high in this country not because childcare workers are earning huge money but because the government have failed to regulate the industry and provide tax concessions for the working parent. The majority of childminders are minding one or two children 40 hours a week and are lucky to earn 200 to 250 per work before costs. They are doing this because they could probably never afford to go out to work and pay childcare so a vicious cycle begins. After studying hard for 4years I at least expect minimum wage and feel very underpaid at that. There are childminders out there working for as little as 3euro per hour which makes it impossible for me to compete with. If the public sector workers were fighting for their jobs while the government hired people in at 3 euro per hour there would be uproar. I paid childcare in the eighties for my children and the costs were still as high forcing me out of the workplace on my third child. It´s sad that nothing has changed. It is also sad that there is a parents are bitter towards childminders because of costs. It would be much more productive for parents and childminders to stand together and lobby against the government for change.

20/11/2013 10:31 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, I will be looking for a childminder soon as I am returning to work in the new year. I have 4 kids. The older two are in 1st class and juniors and the younger two are 2yrs and 4mths. Ideally I would like to get someone into the house but I havn´t a clue what I should expect to pay. She would have to collect from school at 2oclock and work from about 9 til 3.30pm. Hopefully she might be able to do some light housework as well. Any ideas????
Thanks, P.

How much to pay for 12 hour day!           reply
17/11/2013 11:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi all. When I return to work I will be on 12 hour shifts (8:15am-8:15pm). I would like to know what it would cost to have a baby minded these 12 hour days. I know it´s a long day to be minding a baby but I´m hoping I´ll get the right person and would like to pay them the deserving fee. Also it´s not full time it would be on average 3 days per fortnight. All info appreciated. Thanks guys.

20/11/2013 12:53 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Sorry to take over thread.
Tish, it´s not your problem to worry about your employer. You might as well be working for free. I have one word that I´d use for those people and it´s not very nice. The cheek of them! Yes there are some people out there that won´t pay when the child isn´t with them but you can be damed sure they´re paying the going rate. You need to get rid of that family quick and find someone else. You said you wouldn´t charge the full whack but you´re charging nothing really.
I´m sure other people may advise you to sit down and have a talk with the parents but with people like that there´s absolutely no point. The harsh reality is that they do not respect you or appreciate you. They should get themselves an Au Pair not a childminder.
I really wish that people out there would stop treating childminders like dirt. This a job we choose to do just like those parents going our to work. It´s crazy being expected to work for way below min wage.
I´m only childminding two years. When I used to go out to work I paid my childminder €260per week for one child from 8-5pm. I did this because she had the love of my life all day.
I´ll stop ranting now.
It takes time to find a child to mind, I know this, but it´ll be worth it.
Best if luck

08/01/2014 12:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi,
Just like any of the other threads - especially the Childminders Forum - please DO NOT bump these threads. It messes up the feed order on the home page when we delete your blank post and may mean this thread vanishes from the home page, when it should still be there.
Thank you for your co-operation!

21/11/2013 11:46 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i read that wrong.i thought u meant 75 yrs..
the way i would do it.is by negotiating.a decent fee.a fee that would suit the parents.and myself.
there is a lot of parents saying.this or that is to expensive.and then.theres the minders.saying.its this fee and that fee.i think parents should put up. what they think is a decent fee.and see how things go.i havent seen any parents. put up what they expect to pay.it might work in there favour.

20/11/2013 15:50 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks so much for the replys, much appreciated.

06/01/2014 22:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Eh 95 per day is not equal to 45k a year.....95x5days x 52 weeks if lucky enough is 24,700 euro..an average wage for a tough job

08/01/2014 10:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
think it should be regulated ,better for the children and better for the minders
registered childminders like uk.

20/11/2013 18:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
tiah, you need to draw up a contact of what your rate of pay is for the two kids and defo charge for days you should have the children but they arent with you as sick, wedding etc. Talk to the parent(s), they´ll soon change their tune if they think your moving on as NO other childminder will work for your pay.
Parents do lie or stretch the truth, Iv once had a parent say my prices were over what the local creche charged...a quick discreet phonecall and I could call her bluff....
Opening person, Id charge the going rate plus a bit extra as only three days a month.

21/11/2013 18:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thats so wrong ,you are being used......disgraceful parents.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;