Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Maternity leave

re... : Maternity leave           reply
11/06/2013 08:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
I would charge a retainer fee, full stop.
Tell the parents the space is kept for the child and they can utilise it if they want. I would set the days in place otherwise you could find yourself still at their mercy as they pick the days what suits them, plus you couldnt plan anything in your own family life. Of course flexibility is important to keep the peace every now and again.

re... : Maternity leave           reply
11/06/2013 09:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I have a claus in my contract that states that any holidays longer than 3wks or any time off longer than 3wks i.e teachers hols, maternity leave etc, then its half the usual rate until the child comes back. Obviously the child can attend for half the usual hours if needed (I insist that these days are set from the outset (days chosen by parents) and not chopping and changing every week i.e if the parents decide that they will send the child for half a week and want Mon, Tues and half day Wed then thats what it will be til they come back). I had one mindee whos mother took 6mths maternity leave and then the new baby came to me. She paid me half the rate for the 6mths and continued sending her eldest to me for 2.5 days per week so he was still in his routine. Hope that makes sense.

re : Maternity leave           reply
11/06/2013 09:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for the replies girls. I spoke to her this morning and I am going to charge her 1/3 of the cost for both places for the remainder of the time and I´ve added a clause to my contract for future parents. This means she can come one third of the days she usually comes or 1.5 out of 5 days.

re : Maternity leave           reply
10/06/2013 22:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi,
I too am a childminder and was minding a little boy since last July, a couple of hours every second week., so that he got used to us. Mum was supposed to be starting a new job, went for lots of interviews but nothing suited her. I held a place for that little boy, my own children loved to see him. I have not heard from the mother since May 9th. If I were you I would look for another child/ren to mind. This family might never contact you again, you are at their mercy. She might not want to return to work. Good Luck.

Maternity leave           reply
10/06/2013 19:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just a quick question for other childminders. I was minding one child for a year then mum went on maternity. Mum took unpaid leave and now has told me she has been given another 3 months so I will have been without this child for a year by the time they come back. Child comes to me one morning per week. I turned down another family of 3 due to thinking they would be back after 6 months. Just wondering about charging some sort of retainer fee in future as I don´t want to be caught out like this in future. Any replies appreciated.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;