Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Montessori Fees

Montessori Fees           reply
05/04/2016 15:08 - Pre-school / Montessori (Locality: Cork)
-----------------------------------
Hi All,

My daughter has been attending a Montessori school for the past 3 years. She did the ´free´ year there last year but continues on a paid-basis this year as we decided she wasn´t ready for primary until next Sept. Anyway, a number of things have arisen (house move, job change) etc which mean we need to move from this Montessori at the end of April. We informed the school owner and she is saying that we need to continue to pay for May and June as we are withdrawing early.
Has anyone had experience of this? I´m slightly dubious about her now to be honest as they frequently close for days here and there (and an entre week at Easter) and still charge us even though they are not open.
Could anyone advise whether this is standard practice by playschools or whether we are being totally ripped off. Obviously, we can just walk away and not pay her, but I´d prefer to argue the point with her. It´s very disappointing in the context of all the money we have paid to her in the past three years.

re... : Montessori Fees           reply
07/04/2016 11:25 - Pre-school / Montessori
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to this. It´s not a massive amount of money, but it´s the principle. I´ll have to dig out the contract..

re : Montessori Fees           reply
07/04/2016 11:09 - Pre-school / Montessori
Hi Momamger, I run a childcare service myself and I would advise you to check the terms of your contract. In my contract if you were to leave before the end of the year´s contract you would either... 1- give a months notice and just pay for that month and that would be it, or 2- to give no notice and pay 1 month´s fees in lieu. It wouldn´t matter if there were 6 months left on the contract or two, it would be only be either one month to pay, or nothing extra to pay if notice was given. As a provider we have to have some protection from people just leaving, hence the notice period, but I mean things change for people, they move house etc. If you had 11 months left of a contract and had to leave due to unforeseen circumstances you couldn´t be expected to pay that! Also with regard to holidays, I only charge for days that we are open throughout the year, I would never expect parents to pay for days I decided to close!! If there is no mention of what happens when you leave in the contract then you are not obliged to pay anything but if I were you I would definitely question the provider! Hope that helps :D

discussion forum terms & conditions

;