Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Moving To Cork. Good Primary School/s near U.C.C. & C.U.H. ?

re... : Moving To Cork. Good Primary School/s near U.C.C. & C.U.H. ?           reply
16/03/2009 01:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Sorry - I made a typing error! What a meant to say was that I read or heard somewhere recently that quite alot of girls in St Catherines have brothers in Glasheen school.

re... : Moving To Cork. Good Primary School/s near U.C.C. & C.U.H. ?           reply
15/03/2009 20:19 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I have heard great reports about St Catherines too and seen some positive stuff on Schooldays also. My daughter is still a few years away from primary but it will be either there or Glasheen Girls. May send her to Glasheen Girls as my sons will be in Glasheen Boys and it would be really handy to have them all in the one place. I read somewhere that quite girls in St Catherines have brothers in Glasheen Boys so that might work too.

06/03/2009 18:16 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I wanted to contribute to this topic under my own profile name, as I had used my in-law´s profile when I first contributed. I am looking forward to being part of the school community in Glasheen Boys School, when our sons start there in September 2009. Thank you again for the advice I received on this website. I am now aware that there are several after-school activities available in the school, which is great. I´m just wondering if anyone can suggest any other activities for young boys in the area? What about a soccer club? The school told me that boys play with a number of clubs like Wilton. Can´t remember the other ones. Any suggestions??

09/03/2009 14:09 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I got in touch again with Glasheen school this morning to enquire about the soccer club. They were more than helpful. They did a mini survey in the classes my sons will be joining and asked about the clubs the boys in those classes play.
Apparently, most of the Glasheen boys play with Wilton United who train on The Model Farm Road. They said that some also play with Corinthians and Greenwood but the majority in my sons´ classes are Wilton Utd.
I´ll be able to contact Wilton Utd directly and get things underway before the boys start in Glasheen school. That way, when they start in the school, they will already know some familiar faces.

02/05/2010 18:39 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Seeing as Cait was making enquiries about schools in Cork, I remembered this thread from last year which others found good. Hope it is of some help.

06/03/2009 22:51 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
That´s very helpful. Thank you.

01/03/2009 20:23 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
glad to here from you. thats no problem. just to let you no tha t i do night babysitting as well if your looking to go out

26/03/2009 23:28 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Derby. This is the thread I mentioned to you. It includes some information which you may find helpful.

Moving To Cork. Good Primary School/s near U.C.C. & C.U.H. ?           reply
09/02/2009 22:57 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Cork)
My husband & I are moving to Cork in July 2009. We are looking for good Primary Schools near U.C.C. & C.U.H.. I´m sure they´re all good but would like one with a mixture of sport and academic emphasis, as well as good after-school activities. We have two boys and a girl. Our boys are in a regular primary school (not a Gaelscoil) and our girl is 3 years old.
Thanks very much,
Julie.

15/04/2009 19:35 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
This is the good thread I was suggesting for Lena from San Francisco, California. There may be some helpful ideas here, not of particular relevance to your exact situation but helpful nonetheless.

10/02/2009 16:15 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks a million for that, Dnn Twomey. I heard that Glasheen is a really good school and it looks close to U.C.C. and C.U.H.. Following your posting, I found their website (Glasheen Boys) and will ring the school tomorrow. Not sure what we´ll do about our 3 year old but when we know our situation, I can make contact.
Julie

07/03/2009 23:14 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Is the youth club near Glasheen? I have since heard about Highfield Rugby Club which is also very near the school. I might ring the school again to find out which soccer club is most popular with the boys in Glasheen, as it would be great if they could be in clubs with some of their school friends.
I think we´ll try a mixture of the activities in the school as well as ones in the community. Which ones to choose will be my next problem as they have a lot of sport in the school, as well as Speech and Drama, music, taek won do, chess, quiz, French and so on.
I´m conscious too that children don´t need to be overloaded, so we´ll have to choose wisely.
Thanks again Donna.

06/05/2010 10:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I was new to Cork last year and wrote on this thread. We are very happy with how our kids have settled into Cork and most of that is down to the school. Like Cait, I knew nothing about schools in the area but when I saw what was on offer and spoke to the principal, that made up my mind for me.

10/04/2009 18:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks Washstand. This was very helpful. It´s a great thread.

06/03/2009 18:28 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
theres hurling the barrs club, green wood football, there a youth club etc

re : Moving To Cork. Good Primary School/s near U.C.C. & C.U.H. ?           reply
01/03/2009 12:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi dnn here again. i would recommend Tir na nionta Montessori for your lilttle if do decided to send her to one. if you want more details on it you can contact me on:dnntwomey559@gmail.com

01/03/2009 20:15 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just heard from my in-laws, whose profile I was using the time I put in the original request. (My sister-in-law is Julie Hogs, not me) She told me that there was a reply to my thread. I must create my own profile tonight but I will use the name ´washstand´ if I can!
Still not sure of where we´ll get a house in Cork but we´ll rent if we don´t buy. We´re hoping to send our boys to Glasheen as it´s very near UCC and CUH. I´ve been making further enquiries since visiting the school and it also has a very good reputation. I have read some other entries on various websites and they have alot of good things to say about the place. You were the first, though, to mention the school to me.
Thanks very much for the advice about the preschool but my sister-in-law is going to mind our daughter and she has arranged a preschool where her daughter goes.
Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
Fiona.

07/03/2009 14:31 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
if you want more details about them just give abuzz

re : Moving To Cork. Good Primary School/s near U.C.C. & C.U.H. ?           reply
01/03/2009 20:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
glad to here from you . that s no problem. just to let you no that i do night babysitting as well if your ever looking for a sitter

10/02/2009 16:27 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
do luck were are ye moving to

15/03/2009 20:13 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
There are some other good threads on Schooldays about schools in this locality. There´s one on Glasheen School, St. Catherines, St. Josephs etc. There is alot of good information and positive comments on Glasheen where I´m sending my son.

13/03/2009 20:13 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My wife and I have recently moved to Cork for the first time from overseas with our young children. This site was very helpful as we too wanted a school near U.C.C. for our son. I made initial enquiries, consulted various educational and school websites and then made contact with the schools. Firstly by telephone and then by email. When in Cork, I made an appointment to visit the school we had chosen (Glasheen Boys School) to ensure that we were making the correct decision.
When coming to a new country and a new education system, there are many questions you may need answered. I was very grateful to meet with the principal and members of staff who gave me the time and answered all of my questions (and those of my wife who wasn´t there on my first visit). I was thrilled to see how well the school was equipped as it has interactive whiteboards in all of the classrooms and it is really child-friendly. On my preliminary visit, I tried to imagine it through the eyes of my son. When I eventually visited with my wife and children, they got the same feeling I did.
We are very pleased and I would echo the comments of some of the others who have thanked this website for the service it provides.

08/03/2009 01:45 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
its less than five mins from glasheen skool

10/02/2009 15:05 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
theres glasheen boys, togher boys.just to let you no that im living down from cuh if your looking for a childminder for your 3 year old .

01/03/2009 12:44 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi there. i sent you a message a while back with names of schools any luck with it.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;