Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

No School Tours for Our Children

re : No School Tours for Our Children           reply
19/05/2009 19:25 - School Trips
-----------------------------------
I imagine it´s a bit of a dilemma for schools who will be aware of the financial pressures parents are under at the moment and don´t want to add to the strain - particularly knowing that the school book lists etc for next year will be winging their way out to parents shortly. That said we just got notice today of tours in our own school for next month - €18 a head which isn´t too bad, I know my kids would have been terribly disappointed if the tours were cancelled.

re... : No School Tours for Our Children           reply
20/05/2009 21:23 - School Trips
Margins are tight enough for the bus companies with insurance, fuel, drivers, repairs, servicing etc. Often it´s the bus is one of the , if not the most expensive part of the tour.

19/05/2009 22:46 - School Trips
It´s a catch 22 situation for schools at the moment. Faced with cutbacks from every corner and with news of many parents facing redundancy, schools can´t win. Organising a nice outing in the locality could be almost as much fun but not near as expensive. Also many schools subsidise tours and try to pay for those who cannot afford. That´s going to be harder for them to do also with all the cutbacks.

20/05/2009 08:22 - School Trips
Thanks Mary,
I agree that it´s a realyy difficult time. My husband is unemployed too. I just am sorry that the school could not have found a way, with the cooperation of the parents, to run simple and inexpensive trips. Less of the cinema/bowling type tours and more of the museums and heritage sites. I expect that bus companies would reduce prices if they realised that they will lose all this business.

No School Tours for Our Children           reply
18/05/2009 19:46 - School Trips
Our two local primary schools have decided not to take children on school tours this year because of the increased financial pressure on parents. I am wondering if this has occured with other schools? I am particularly disappointed as this will have a very bad effect on already struggling local businesses. It is appauling that any school should feel the need to do this when faced with the recent cut-backs (esp. the school-book grant).

discussion forum terms & conditions

;