Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) Cork City

re... : Primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) Cork City           reply
25/10/2010 22:46 - School Specific
-----------------------------------
Absolutely agree.

It is very important that schools, parents, teachers, etc. make very clear to the government that children [i]most in need[/i] should not have to bear the brunt of the cuts.

re... : Primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) Cork City           reply
04/11/2010 22:57 - School Specific
It´s good to see people posting Birdie. The thing that puzzles me is that your first post was about the fact that your son has special needs and about the budget cuts. There are lots of current threads on special needs and a whole section on Special needs on schooldays.ie. There is also a complete section on education cutbacks yet the one thread you chose to contribute to was a school specific thread about DEIS schools in Cork.

Perhaps you just posted on the incorrect thread and posting on some of the many others would be more helpful to you and would make more sense, to everybodyelse.

04/11/2010 22:37 - School Specific
Im sorry I posted.

03/11/2010 12:39 - School Specific
Anybody else find this peculiar as it would be interesting to see. Thank you.

Mary.

Primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) Cork City          
19/10/2010 22:22 - School Specific (Locality: Cork)
Does anyone have a list of primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) in Cork City (not County)?

22/10/2010 13:15 - School Specific
As with special needs kids, it would be a disgrace if the most disadvantaged kids were effected by the cuts. We all know that there is incredible pain coming down the tracks and we can´t all be saying, ´NIMBY´- Not in my back yard. We will have to take pain but let the adults take the pain before the least fortunate kids.

02/11/2010 21:27 - School Specific
I was sure that dis-advantaged schools were not going to be affected by cutbacks. Was this not in the agreement between the greens and FF last year?

22/10/2010 12:28 - School Specific
Extra staff and supports in DEIS schools are also likely to be targeted in the next budget. (Dr Emer Smyth / ESRI report).
An Bord Snip Nua recommended that 2,000 SNA posts be cut to save €60 million a year and further cutbacks are likely to continue. Parents and schools need to get organised and make their views heard, and get on to their TDs, and on to the streets, ahead of the budget.

03/11/2010 12:37 - School Specific
Fair point, JohnMc, in that posters may have signed up at different times and chose to ´lurk´ but not to post until a future date. Only one difficulty with what you have outlined. Are you saying that you don´t see anything strange with not one, two, three or four BUT FIVE lurkers, all who decided to finally come off the fence for this thread, never having commented about anything else on Schooldays before?

The point I am making is that it´s a shame, really, as the subject content was worthwhile raising here but I believe that, as a regular user of schooldays, this kind of behaviour took from the authenticity of the thread. Am I imagining this? I agree that there are many who choose not to post but are there others besides myself and ellie who found the pattern of posts to be more than a little questionable and that five first time posters contributed? I also found that many of the actual questions raised by those questioning this post were left completely unanswered, until now.

Mary.

05/11/2010 20:33 - School Specific
´elliesull/maryt/goldilocks´ whoever you are, goodbye.

21/10/2010 16:29 - School Specific
This is a very strange thread indeed. Just wondering who is behind it and why the information is inaccurate? I´m also wondering why the person who asked the original question has only got one post (brand new member) and that the only ´other´ person who replied has ALSO made only one post (another brand new member). Seems VERY strange and irregular, if not a huge coincidence.
I´m not an expert an ´DEIS status´ but by doing a little research since the original poster asked the question, I have seen that ´Deedre´ neglected to mention several schools in her/his list (including St. Maries of The Isle, Greenmount and so on). Another relevant point that has not been mentioned here is that there has been no reference to Band 1 or Band 2 schools, a very significant omission. From my limited knowledge, DEIS Band 1 schools would have a very high level of Disadvantage whereas those in Band 2 would have Disadvantage but would have a more mixed profile than Band 1.

03/11/2010 09:43 - School Specific
This is a strange thread, or at least a strange reaction elliesull & maryt are having to people posting in reply to a question.

A question was asked.... generally people sign up and ask a question (you have to be registered to ask)... somebody had some sort of answer for her (had to sign up to answer).

Straight away EllieSull jumped on them implying that they may be the same person! And?

So the second poster reply´s saying she found more info... and so on and so fort.

Few more posts from new people and MaryT goes accusing.

As I said before. And? What is your point Ladies? It is not as if they are saying ´Oh this school is great´ ´ My daughter loves this school´ ´The teachers are great at THIS school´

A question was asked! I see 2 of the posters called out in the last post have commented elsewhere!

BTW: I am whats they call a ´lurker´ on discussion boards. I read alot of the threads but rarely comment. So I have seen Deedre & Birdie post elsewhere.

Also, who knows when they actually signed up? Any of them could have signed up last year and lurked!

So my confusion stands with - Why the strange reaction EllieSull & MaryT?

And I believe it is very bad form calling out people unless you have a good reason!

Thanks for reading!

re : Primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) Cork City           reply
30/10/2010 20:10 - School Specific
AoifeDe/Deedre, I think that all of us who read this forum have got your point at this stage and are all agreed about the importance of the most needy schools being protected, insofar as possible, from cutbacks.

I´m not too sure how many more ways you can repeat what you´ve been saying here on Schooldays. Your best course of action is to contact your TDs and those who are likely to be making the decisions in the forthcoming budget.

Mary.

28/10/2010 20:56 - School Specific
Very good article on the importance of DEIS schools:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/education/2010/1019/1224281437735.html

There is no organised representative body to present the public face of the DEIS sector and to trumpet the great work that is happening under the initiative, which was set up with the aim of delivering equality of opportunity in schools. Never has the sector needed an advocate more than it does right now.

02/11/2010 23:44 - School Specific
This thread is STRANGE. I´ve been on schooldays.ie for quite a long time now but I have never before seen a thread like this one. While the point that was made was worth making, I can´t help wondering about who is posting repeatedly, with brand new identities each time?

Firstly, there was ´AoifeDe´, posting with her/his very first post on schooldays.ie, who started this thread. Almost immediately, there was another new poster, ´Deedre´ who replied and guess what, s/he was another first time poster!

Not long after, yet another first timer, ´AoifeD´ (as opposed to ´AoifeDe´) made an entrance to schooldays to prolong this thread further. A few real posters (including myself, made a few comments), only to be replied to by, believe it or not, yet one more first time poster, ´Birdie´.

Just when I thought the point had been made and this post had been put to bed, yes, you´ve guessed it, an incredible 5th NEW POSTER, this time calling her/himself, ´Emms1974´ resurrected this thread from the ashes.

AoifeDe, Deedre, AoifeD. Birdie, Emms1974, (or whatever you are calling yourself at this stage,) please give it a rest. The point has been made. Us regular readers and contributors to schooldays have seen this thread and it´s more an insult to people´s intelligence than anythingelse, to think that the behaviour cannot be seen through. The point is taken and the target audience for schooldays was reached after the first few posts. There is no need to prolong this but contacting the politicians certainly would be far more worthwhile. Unfortunately, you are merely irritating people at this stage, rather than gathering support.

01/11/2010 22:00 - School Specific
For anyone living in Cork who feel strongly about these cuts, please make your feelings known to:

Senator Dan Boyle

99 Douglas Street,Cork
Tel: 021 470 4238
Fax: 021 470 4239
dboyle@oireachtas.ie

Remember the budget cannot be carried without Green Party support.

05/11/2010 10:27 - School Specific
This is an odd site.

http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/Contact-details-for-single-sex-schools-in-Mullingar,-Co.-Westmeath-1011012343

21/10/2010 22:08 - School Specific
I´ve managed to find the official list on the Department of Education and Skills website:

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/deis_school_list.htm#_

01/11/2010 10:33 - School Specific
Im dreading the budget as my son is special needs.

30/10/2010 15:06 - School Specific
I sincerely hope the most disadvantaged schools benefit aren´t targeted for cutbacks.

03/11/2010 15:32 - School Specific
I only joined this site earlier this year but didn´t comment on this thread as I felt I didn´t know anything about it. I presume there are "DEIS" schools all over Ireland, in both city and rural areas.
Being honest, it was only when it was highlighted by "elliesullie" that I had to agree that she had a very valid point. It did seem to be quite odd. Then again, I felt who was I to comment? Now that the question was asked, I admit that it was a bit weird that there were so many first timers on one single thread.
I don´t want to be fuelling but I can only offer my honest opinion.
Trish.

05/11/2010 19:12 - School Specific
Birdie, there is nothing wrong with the schooldays.ie really. It´s this thread is odd in so far as many of the posts have absolutely no connection with previous posts on the thread and don´t belong on this thread. Your most recent post is a classic example as it has just nothing to do with this thread. The only purpose it serves, it would appear, is to keep this thread alive.

The original question that was asked in this thread has been answered long ago and this thread is not serving any function other than to call into question the motives of several new posters who post random posts, that appear to be unrelated to the original topic. Many other current threads would appear to be of more relevance yet these posters haven´t bothered posting on those threads.

Perhaps it´s time for the moderator to remove this thread or to lock it? Thank you to the many other posters who confirmed what I had been thinking. I don´t want or need to name them but there are several of them.

04/11/2010 15:29 - School Specific
I didn´t realise that new users shouldn´t post!

re : Primary schools designated disadvantaged (DEIS status) Cork City           reply
03/11/2010 13:52 - School Specific
I am a member and contributor to this site for several years. I must admit that weeks and months go by while I lurk but do not necessarily contribute. I read this thread but as it progressed, I decided not to contribute. I read what the poster (elliesull) said and have to admit that I had been thinking something similar.
It´s a pity when there is disagreement among posters but if there is something that needs to be questioned, then it is only right to do so. I thought that some of the contributions were only being made to keep the thread alive and many were unrelated to the original question or the previous replies. On other sites, people just type ´BUMP´ if they want to bump up their thread, rather than possibly creating a whole series of new identities, perhaps.
I didn´t want to get involved in this thread but in answer to your question (maryt), yes, I found this an ususual thread, to say the least, although the importance of highlighting educational cuts cannot be overstated.

21/10/2010 15:36 - School Specific
Gaelscoil Mahon
Mahon Boys
Mahon Girls
Glasheen Girls
Glasheen Boys
Ballyphehane Boys
Ballyphehane Girls
Gaelscoil Ballyphehane
The Glen Boys
The Glen Girls
Churchfield
North Mon
Mayfield Boys
Mayfield Girls
Faranree
Dillons Cross
Strawberry Hill
Knocknaheeney

04/11/2010 18:19 - School Specific
´Emms1974´, nobody at any time said that new users shouldn´t post! Every user must make his/her first post at some stage or other.

The point that is being consistently made is that this thread began to completely lose authenticity when a whole host of ´new users´ (or long-term lurkers) all decided to post, for the very first time, on this particular thread. There is a VERY significant difference.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;