Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Repeating a year in NS

Repeating a year in NS           reply
04/09/2007 20:25 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi
Can anyone advise me on repeating a year within national school. My son has just gone into fifth class this week and has been struggling to keep up now for the last few years. I have approached the school who had him assessed and it appears his only problem is poor concentration and laziness.

I would like some information on him being able to repeat a year to hold him off going into secondary school in 2 years time. I have heard that this is not possible unless there is a diagnosis of dyslexia or other learning difficulties.

Thanx in advance

Kerry

re... : Repeating a year in NS           reply
16/09/2007 16:55 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Dept don´t want children repeating a year at all, unless there is a specific difficulty..have a look at your child´s report again, am surprised if a psychologist would say a child is lazy..

06/09/2007 20:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks for all your advice.

It is so frustrating that because of educational red tape children are deprived of another year in a safe and secure environment in which to learn and in which they are familiar. Why should they have to move to another national school for the sake of 1 more year. I wouldn´t move him to another national school knowing that the following year he will be moving again into secondary school.

The only other option I will be left with is to get him grinds for English and Maths, so if anyone knows of anyone offering grinds in the Donegal Area, I would appreciate your contact.

Many Thanx
Kerry

06/09/2007 12:36 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
i should have added the following ......... if you move school, then the new school will accept a child into any year it has room for and the govt has no problem in handing over the grant !!!!!

re : Repeating a year in NS           reply
09/09/2007 21:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
30th Sept is the date that the Dept of Education uses as its cut off point. the numbers enrolled in the school on that date is the number that determines the teaching staff for the next year (ie whether a school maintains staff, loses a teacher or gains a new teacher)

09/09/2007 18:55 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My experience is different, my son has stayed back in 5th class and was allowed use the summer to decide what he/we wanted to do. The school did not know until the first morning back which class my child had choosen. And the principal has told me (havent told my son this) that if it doesnt work out he will change him over to 6th once its before 30th september. We are in Leinster.

06/09/2007 12:35 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
i think i heard somewhere that if a school allows a child stay back in any year other an jnr/snr infants, they don´t get the government grant for that child for that year. i think that if there are medical reasons where a child has missed a lot of school cos of hospitalisation or other, then the govt grant is paid up. maybe ask the school if this is the reason???

re : Repeating a year in NS           reply
05/09/2007 17:54 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Kerry
I don´t know what the official dept of ed policy is but I have a friend who was in a similar position to you. She wanted to hold her daughter back as she felt she was struggling both socially and academically - she was one of the youngest in the class. when she approached the school they game a similar response to that which you recieved, i.e. unless there was specific learning difficulties which had been identified by the school they were not in a position to hold the child back and the parent had no say in the matter. My friend moved her child to another school where they did not seem to have a problem allowing her to repeat the year! Beats me!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;