Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

School starting age

re : School starting age           reply
14/10/2009 22:13 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
in Ireland u have to be 4years old before September 1st to go to school... but because schools are very full they usually have a cut off point of June ... this means to go to school in September you must be 4years old before June.... If the school has places it still can´t take u it your birthday is after September 1st....this comes back to you because Secondary Schools won´t take u unless u are 12years old....

School starting age           reply
22/09/2009 14:17 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Westmeath)
Hi all- i moved here from England in March. Have been in contact with two of the local schools as my daughter has just turned 3 and i was worried about waiting lists- but have just been told that she will not start school until she is 5- is this really right. She was 3 on 13th September 2009. How do they work out what age a child should start? She has made friends on our street that go to school and keeps asking to go. We are going to enroll her in a preschool- but are now thinking we should look at a montresori- Spelling???? She is very into learning her numbers and letters- loves sitting down and practising writing- just think it will offer her more if not starting school til she is 5. ANybody help ???

re... : School starting age           reply
19/10/2009 12:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you for that- so she will be turning 5 a couple of weeks after starting. She´ll be pleased to be one of the older ones. Thanks again x

discussion forum terms & conditions

;