Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Should I charge for maternity Leave

Should I charge for maternity Leave           reply
03/07/2012 10:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Louth)
-----------------------------------
The lady whose little girl I mind has found out she is pregnant. She plans to go back to work after her maternity leave and asked if I would mind her 2 children. If anyone could answer the following for me

1. What is the normal discount for a second child
2. What are normal maternity leave arrangements. I don´t get paid when I don´t have the child. 6 months is a long time to go without a wage. Would it be wrong to tell her she has to send the child down 1 or 2 days a week to hold the place.

Any advice greatly appreciated

re... : Should I charge for maternity Leave           reply
03/07/2012 10:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well I´m only getting less than €4 for the first child (€35 per 9.5 hour day)

re : Should I charge for maternity Leave           reply
03/07/2012 10:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, I understand your prediciment as I found myself in this situation recently. I was minding a little boy for the last three years, his mum is a teacher and I was charging 5 Euro an hour which seemed to be the standard rate. I was only paid for the hours I worked which suited me fine. His mum is due a second baby later in the summer and she asked me to take both kids but will be off for nearly a year. She wasn´t prepared to pay any type of retainer, no matter how small, or send the little boy to me even for a couple of days. We left it that if I was available to mind them I would but I have since found another job and won´t be in a position to take them. The way I look at it is I have to earn money the same as she does and I could not be expected to wait a year for her to come back to me. I don´t feel I was being unreasonable. The rate for a second child seems to be around 3 Euro, I live in Co Meath.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;