Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Should I charge more?

re : Should I charge more?           reply
07/02/2014 11:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
By law you have to be paid at least minimum wage!! I´m sure they won´t want to lose you and will surely come to some kind of compromise..if you tell them, for instance, you don´t want iron anymore they will soon realise the worth of giving you a rise

re... : Should I charge more?           reply
08/02/2014 23:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
That´s true - I need to be more assertive... At first it was no problem for me to help them a bit (especially with a toddler in a small house) but step by step they added all these things to my regular tasks... Where´s the border line? What should a childminder do as so called light housework?
And btw. I meant fridge & freezer not fridge & refridgerator :P

09/02/2014 21:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
you need to learn the word no my friend .
review your childminding job asp.
can you work for home its much better.
good luck

08/02/2014 22:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
A letter asking for a review of my wages is a great idea. That is what I´m going to do soon. I just can´t afford working for them for €8/h. I need to think of my future. It feels like I´m wasting my life. And what´s more, most of the time I feel like a housekeeper (badly-paid cleaner) not a childminder.
Every day of my work I vacuum, mop the floor, make up the beds, clear the table & kitchen island, empty the dishwasher, cook for kids and make their sandwiches for lunch, I do the washing and ironing (imagine that huge pile of dirty clothes => six people at home!). I also help kids with their homework and... feed the lamb with milk bottle :) Once a week I clean all three bathrooms and the toilet, I dust... From time to time I change the bedding and clean the fridge/refrigerator and all the doors. Once-twice a year I clean kitchen cupboards inside and out (hate it! it takes whole day!). I used to wash the windows and do some gardening (pulling weeds) but thanks God I don´t have to do it anymore... Never got an extra money for doing that.
After 7 years of housekeeping and minding kids for €8/h I´m just sick and tired of it...

07/02/2014 11:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
think the fact you wrote this tells that you know your being taken advantage
of. give them a letter asking for a review of your wages .....
point out how long your with them,what jobs you do and that your happy to work for them but you must have a wage increase as your can no longer work for the same money. ask for 12euro per hour you may get 10euro.
would you be happy with that ?
if they had a childminder and a cleaner it would cost more.

08/02/2014 22:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thats a disgrace.what they have you doing.a childminder cook housekeeper and gardener.and your feeding a lamb with a bottle as well.thats a first for a childminder.they are really taking advantage of you.you need to get assertive.

07/02/2014 10:03 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi you def deserve more...however Iv recently been asked to work for €6.50 an hour, 4 kids, school runs and general tidying of house. Can you afford to lose your job if you had a conversation and things went badly. Perhaps you could just lose the ironing bit.

06/02/2014 10:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
they are taking advantage of you.you are basically the minder cook and housekeeper.i think you should be on 15 euro an hour.for what you are doing.they really want their cake and eat it.

Should I charge more?           reply
05/02/2014 21:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Offaly)
Hello,
I was thinking of a review this year as the circumstances changed over years but not my wages. I started 7 years ago: toddler in his house, light housework, €8 per hour, 8-9 hours, 4-5 days per week. Today I’m still with the same family and it’s still €8 per hour. I do a lot more housework (including cleaning, ironing and preparing food) as they moved to a much bigger house. The biggest difference is that now I have to mind 4 children: 2 yrs old stays with me all day while 4 yrs old spends 3 hours in playschool and two eldest kids (6 and 8 yrs old) spend 5 hours in school. I don’t do drop offs and pick ups but the whole gang is with me for at least 3 hours every day. I feel I should be paid more. Or am I wrong? Both parents are well paid, one’s a doctor. Offaly.

05/02/2014 22:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
no you are not wrong.you are way underpaid.you should be on at least 15 euro an hour.you are the childminder not the housekeeper.i dont see why they cant do their own ironing.thats another job in itself..i think maybe you should charge 20 as you are doing more than you should.a cleaner alone is 10 euro an hour.

06/02/2014 18:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
First of all: thanks very much, girls, for your replies. I had no-one else to ask for an advice.
I started my job as a young girl and at that time I was really pleased with my money. But with years passing by I felt less and less satisfied.
I like my employers and their kids very much but to be honest I am not happy with my wages. They are days when I come back home really exhausted and that´s why for last couple of months I´ve been thinking of quitting my job. Usually I get €200 as my Christmas bonus but despite that I don´t really feel appreciated and would really love to have better paid job.
I don´t think they will be willing to pay me €15 an hour (not to mention €20) as I usually work 9h per day. For 4 days week that would give over €550.
I don´t mind preparing food for kids as it´s not that I cook for whole family every single day but the cleaning and ironing part sometimes really brings me down.

06/02/2014 20:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, For €5 PH ???? I would tell them good luck finding anyone else for that. No way would anyone else do child minding, cooking,cleaning and ironing for that price.I would ask for €10-15 ph.jasus, that´s lower than the minium wage.Mc Donalds pay more than that.I do cleaning for 3hrs a day twice a week and get €12 PH,I understand that you are attatched to the children, but you gotta think of you, it´s clear that the parents are exploiting you , If they want to keep you, they should pay more. They are probably waiting a long time for you to ask for a rise in pay....Best of luck,hope they realise how bloody lucky they are..

14/02/2014 15:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Let us know how you get on and good luck!

06/02/2014 20:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Sorz, I ment €8 ph,,,, still too low:-)

05/02/2014 22:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
They are taking advantage you should definitely be paid more !!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;