Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Spelling

re... : Spelling           reply
19/09/2006 13:31 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
-----------------------------------
my son also has dyslixa he is 8 i cant seem to get help.he finds spellings very hard i will also be getting the packages that u suggested, homework is a nightmare,have u any more suggestions.ive been intouch with the assocation ,they are helpfull but i feel he needs more help and i dont know how to go about it

re : Spelling           reply
06/06/2007 14:58 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi Zara, of course it´s a special need that your son has, there are so many different types of special needs, some children ´need´ extra stimulation as they are fast learners others need extra support because they may have a difficulty with some area of learning. Maybe your son does have dyslexia, maybe he doesn´t but while you are waiting to find out you can try lots of things. Try using different coloured paper, don´t tell him why just see what happens when you write words on different colours, try each colour for a few days with words that he finds difficult.

Another approach that I used for my son, who was very good in all areas except spelling,
1. While looking at the word say it and then spell it and say it again (a bit like the American spelling bee) repeat this three times.
2. Cover the word and say, spell, say. (if there´s any problem don´t panic)
3. Look at the word while you say, spell, say.
4. Say, write, say.

Only start with 2 or 3 words a day and make sure they are not too difficult (3 or 4 letters) as you want him to succeed to build his confidence, you can have fun with it by getting him to choose longer words from the dictionary for you to learn at the same time and then you both have a reward at the end of each session where you do something simple together like he makes you both a cup of tea or you make milkshakes, this way the learning is associated with ´nice time´ together.

13/09/2006 20:47 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Thanks for your help jmoore. I always thought children with dyslexia had problems with reading, my son hasn´t had any reading difficulties to date. How old is your son? I´m a bit concerned that I have left it too late to help him. I´ll keep trying the phone number and get some advice from the association. Thanks again.

31/01/2007 23:05 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
hi my son was diagnosed with dyslexiay last year and goes to evening classes one evening a week and is getting on great now he used to find spellings a problem but now we write his spellings on coloured paper he finds it easier to learn them try it out it works.

Spelling           reply
07/09/2006 21:14 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
I know it isnt strictly speaking a special need but my child has great difficulty with spelling. Consequently he does not like writing. It is really his only area of difficulty (so far) but I would love to hear if anyone has tried a particular programme that worked. He just doesn´t seem to hear any letter sounds. He´s fine in school otherwise. He is 12 and has just started in 6th class. I´m getting a bit worried that it has got too late and that he will never grasp it, especially with secondary school looming ahead.

06/06/2007 10:32 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Just after reading your post, yes it would seem that it is some form of dyslexia, I do hope by now that you have got the help you neeeded if not let me know and maybe I can enlighten you more look at the other topic in Dyslexia. My son could not retain the spellings and had difficulty with reading and writing but he was in secondary before any of the National Schools knew and I was the one who had to tell them and go and seach for info on it. they remark I got from them that he was lazy or not listening as he did it someday and not others but what they did not realise is that what he good one day had been learned Audio Visually and thats what he remebered but to get him to write or read he would have climbed mount everest to avoid it.

Good Luck and if you need any more help please do not hesitate to conta me.

Mairead

13/02/2011 14:16 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
there´s a great book called 33 ways to help with spelling. Its on Amazon. I´m a teacher and I use it. I´d suggest magnetic and wooden letters, whiteboard or chalkboards.
You could also Mind Map (Tony Buzan) and highlight key words in his reading in other subjects-one page per topic. He could use visual cues first, then add words.
Also let him use the computer as much as possible and the spellcheck function. hope it helps!

12/09/2006 15:43 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi Zara,
My son was diagnosed with dyslexia last week but ive always known he had it.
Its sounds like your son might have a mild form of dyslexia, to confirm this you would
need to contact the organisation and arrange an assesment the no. is 8670276 but their lines
are very busy. There is some software available called wordshark or starspell its cost around €110.00
I will be getting it myself this week and will keep you posted on how good it is. Good luck.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;