Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Start school at 4 or 5?

Start school at 4 or 5?           reply
09/12/2008 17:08 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
My only son will be 4 in august next year and i´m in two minds whether to send him to school in september. He´s in creche for 2 years and is in montessori now and doing well but his speech is delayed. When he was assessed by a speech therapist she felt he was 15 months delayed. He has no other problems and is talking more and more all the time. My instinct tells me he was slow to talk because he is extremely easygoing and that he understands everything. The staff in the creche don´t find any differences day to day between him and his peers. I wonder would he benefit from the formal setting of school and if it would bring him on. I´m a complete novice......all advice will be gratefully received

re... : Start school at 4 or 5?           reply
30/12/2008 12:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi. I suggest that you leave it for another year. There is a condition called August Child,and you may find references to it on the Web. I found this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-489424/Augusts-child-doomed-exam-failure-classmates-year-older.html Basically, an August clild will not catch up with its peers as a childs brain has to be developed to a particular point to do certain tasks. I did read somewhere that they make better footballers as they are introduced to sports a year earlier! Best of luck.

09/02/2009 09:20 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
As a preschool teacher, I would reccomend keeping your son at preschool for another year. Allow him the time now to become more confident and you will find school will be much easier on all levels.

re : Start school at 4 or 5?           reply
10/12/2008 16:56 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi physiomum
There are a few other threads on our boards re the ´right´ age to start school which you might find useful

http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/Right-age-to-start-school-0609021312

http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/starting-school-while-not-4-yet-0804161141

Hope you find these useful

15/02/2009 01:20 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
From what I have seen, August is probably that little bit too young. By next year, he should be flying. If your child was born in February, March, April, I would be inclined to send him/her to primary. Some parents err too much on the side of keeping their children too long before starting them and then they are TOO ready, almost bored, with most classmates up to a year younger than them. Also Transition Year is compulsory in so many schools now that these children will be 19 + doing their Leaving.Goldilocks

re : Start school at 4 or 5?           reply
16/02/2009 20:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
my little girl only turned 4 in the start of sept 08 and she started junior infants on her birthday, some people said it was too young but she had been in pre school and creche since she was 1 and even her pre-school teacher said she was way ahead and ready to start. i was worried she´d be the smallest etc but its now feb and she´s doing brilliant.i had her parent/teacher meeting last week and the teacher said she has the best art work in the class, her writing is always neat and she gets on with everyone in the school.so in my opinion if you think your child is ready its up to you.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;