Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Suitable school for daughter - moving from US to Dublin

Suitable school for daughter - moving from US to Dublin           reply
21/02/2008 23:46 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
We are planning to move from US (Minnesota) to Dublin this summer. Our daughter will be 15 in October 2008. Currently she is in 8th grade. We have not yet decided where we will live as alot will depend on the location of a suitable school. I believe the american school system is very different from the irish system. Ideally the school will have experience with students from other countries. I think she will go in to a junior cert. class but I´m worried that we´d be setting her up for failure. Does she have to sit the junior cert ?

We´ll be in Dublin in March, is there an organization that can help us with this ?
I´m open to all suggestions. Thanks

re... : Suitable school for daughter - moving from US to Dublin           reply
10/03/2008 19:53 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
You´ll find details of the school terms on the following page on our website. The calendar shows the fixed school holidays. Schools start back for the new year during the last week in August or first week in September http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/school-calendar

You´ll find contact details for some of the schools in Malahide by using the search facility on our Primary School page http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/primary-Schools-in-Ireland-by-County choose schools in North County Dublin. You will need to contact those you are interested in directly to enquire about their application procedures.

re : Suitable school for daughter - moving from US to Dublin           reply
28/06/2008 20:51 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hello,
i´m, 38 yrs., from california myself, mother of one(not school going yet). there is a difference in the us system and irish. and yes your daughter will have to do the leaving cert.
depending on your situation, and the location where you are planning to move to in ireland, dictates the school you are able to attend. of course the biggest cities cork, and dublin will offer the widest range. and public schools here are more abundent than private, it just depends, firstly on location. i think once you decide on that then you can ask which school is the best.
on a postive note, the kids in ireland i feel are more friendly, and easy going.
b.b.

10/03/2008 17:21 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
If you are seeking a school with experience of international students in Dublin, I recommend St Andrews School in Booterstown - they have the biggest intake of international students. Other schools to look at would be Wesley College or St Columba´s School. These are all private/fee paying schools.

I am sure that if your daughter goes into 3rd year in September, she will have to sit the Junior Certificate exam.

Jenny

10/03/2008 19:46 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hello,

We are moving to the Malahide area in May and only staying until Aug. I am also wondering about transferring my kids in. I have a son in Grade 1 and a daughter who is 4 1/2 , currently in preschool. I am having a really hard time finding info re: school terms, ages of enrollment and schools in the Malahide region. We are so unfamiliar with Ireland I don´t even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

discussion forum terms & conditions

;