Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

What is best type of primary school for kids moving from Italy?

re : What is best type of primary school for kids moving from Italy?           reply
19/01/2010 09:35 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi Helen

You will get a full list of Educate Together schools on our site by clicking on the following link

http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-educate-together

Classes sizes in Ireland can generally range from between 25 in a class to 35 (and sometimes larger). In recent years many schools had language support teachers who could assist and support children from other countries but in recent times many of these resources have been cut back so you would need to check directly with the schools you are interested in. It would be important to make contact with schools now if you are re-locating this coming summer as many would have application procedures with closing dates etc.

If you are arriving in the summer, it would also be useful to consider sending them to a local summer camp to help them with the language and possibly get to know some of the kids in the area.

Regards
Schooldays.

re : What is best type of primary school for kids moving from Italy?           reply
18/01/2010 22:58 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Yes there is a few Montessori schools in Ireland here is a web site telling u where they are... http://www.montessorischools.ie/,,, the average class size in primary school is around 28 - 30 depending where the school is unless ur child attends a DEIS school which is in a disadvantage area class sizes are around 20.... most schools are able to deal with children from other nationalities as we have had plenty of children from many nationalities in the school system in all types of school... http://www.educatetogether.ie/5_schools/listofschools.html here is the website for the educate together schools in ireland.... hope this helps ....

re... : What is best type of primary school for kids moving from Italy?           reply
21/01/2010 12:22 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
helen
hi id say it would be both if you look up the internet and go through schools in ireland and pre schools they might be able to help you. i know that there is playschools that take kids after school till the parents are finished work. i hope you get somewhere for your kids if you could get your hands on a irish phone book i know that sounds imposible but it would be great then you could look up something before you come to ireland. i think there is yellow pages on line i think it is www.yellowpages.com
go into www.google.com and put in schools and they might be able to tell you something
good luck

re... : What is best type of primary school for kids moving from Italy?           reply
19/01/2010 10:05 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you very much schooldays & Deborah for your information, today I will start to look them up!

19/01/2010 16:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thankyou Deirdre for your kind reply,
We are still in Italy, we hope to go to Ireland at beginning of summer. We still don´t know exactly where we will relocate in Ireland. The Cork area sounds very nice (I´m originally from a town near Dublin, although my family now live in the USA). It´s good to know there are still resource teachers in some of the schools.
I didn´t have time to look up the montessori schools, I hope to do it this evening. However I would need a montessori school for primary age kids. Do you know if the montessori schools in your area are preschool montessori or primary montessori schools?

Thankyou
Helen

What is best type of primary school for kids moving from Italy?           reply
18/01/2010 13:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi all,
I hope somebody can help? My husband (Italian), I (Irish) and our two children are hoping to relocate to Ireland from Italy in early summer. Our daughter will be seven and our son will be five when they start the primary school in Ireland. Both children understand English very well, but although they can speak English quite well it isn’t at the same level as their comprehension so we’ll have to practise this during the summer months in Ireland, (here in Italy they speak mostly Italian).

The problem is I’m not sure what type of primary school would be best for them. I have been away from Ireland for over fifteen years so I’m totally out of touch with the school situation in Ireland. Are there schools that cater for foreign children who may need more assistance with English and cultural change. What worries me most is that both are quite shy so I know it won’t be particularly easy for them. My daughter is now in her first year of primary school in Italy, here they start at six years old and my son is in pre-school. I would love them to attend a Montessori primary school ( do they exist in Ireland? ) or some other alternative to the traditional schools. The educate together schools sound interesting too. By the way, what is the average number of children in classes in Ireland and is it the same all over Ireland? We would prefer to move near the cities, however we have the possibility to be flexible on this. All advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

From worried Mum

19/01/2010 13:57 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi a irish mum here it wouldnt be any problem for your kids to get into schools here i live in cork and the school my boys go to there is a lot of nationalitys there and there is resorse teachers to help the kids that need help if they need it i have a son of 9yrs and 7yrs so they are happy in the school i went to that school myself when i was young its not a mixed school but the 2 schools are next to each other. the montesori schools here are excellent i sent my son to a lady who works from her home she is excellent she thought my eoin about the map of ireland and that was before he went to school. go on the internet and go into the schools around ireland and see what one suits you and your kids. what part of ireland are you living in

discussion forum terms & conditions

;