Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Will ipads or other electronic devices eventually replace schoolbooks?

Will ipads or other electronic devices eventually replace schoolbooks?           reply
04/04/2012 14:25 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms (Locality: Galway)
-----------------------------------
Hello there, Im sure some of you are aware of the decision of a Mayo school to replace schoolbooks with ipads.

I would like to hear the opinion of parents and teachers alike on this development.

Are you in favor of this decision?

Was there´s any thought on the Health and Safety of the children who took part in this scheme.

The Health and Safety Im referring too is the detrimental effect prolong use of electronic devices can have on your vision.

Computer vision syndrome (CVS) for those who dont know is a temporary condition resulting from focusing the eyes on a computer display for uninterrupted periods of time.

Some symptoms of CVS include headaches, blurred vision, neck pain, redness in the eyes, fatigue, eye strain, dry eyes, irritated eyes, double vision, polyopia, and difficulty refocusing the eyes.

What training will be given to teachers in recognising the symptoms of Computer Vision Syndrome?

What procedures are in place where a student begins to suffer from these symptoms?

As you can see there´s many questions that need to be ask to those who make these decisions.

re : Will ipads or other electronic devices eventually replace schoolbooks?           reply
07/08/2012 14:13 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
I´m curious about the costs involved. Is it true that parents have to foot the bill for the ipads...one each per child? What if there is no broadband or if broadband is poor? Or if a parent cannot afford to pay for broadband? What happens if a child drops the ipad or damages it? Or if it´s stolen? How much do the books cost...I´ve heard from a parent in IT that they cost €10 per year...(each book)...so for 1st year...thats €30 per book. Is it true that the ebooks are then disabled after each year? So in year 3...the cost will have been €30 per book...but parents won´t have anything to show for it? (Or schools if they are the ones footing the bill). Not happy about this at all...much prefer to have books. And of course like you say...what about the implications for eyesight! In the Far East they have had a significant increase in the numbers of children wearing glasses because of eye damage due to computers. A child is still developing and it is worrying that they can have such severe eye strain...what will happen to them in later years?

re : Will ipads or other electronic devices eventually replace schoolbooks?           reply
21/05/2012 19:59 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
Why would they choose an iPad or other reader devices instead of a laptop or notebook? Surely a huge amount of school work and time is about inputting into the computer, and not reading the computer output. iPad keyboards are not designed for writing leaving cert essay questions.

02/05/2012 20:48 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
Hi there, just wondering are there many secondary schools in ireland using the ipad?
thanks

re... : Will ipads or other electronic devices eventually replace schoolbooks?           reply
07/08/2012 21:46 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
I know of one girls secondary school in Dublin that has brought in iPads for 1st year girls. Parents buy the iPad, and presumably pay for any repairs required. I´m not sure what arrangements they have about the electronic books.
THere seems to be a bit of a rush towards technology for the sake of technology, rather than technology to achieve specific goals. This is often a recipe for disaster.

13/08/2012 10:29 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
I was listening to Lunchtime on Newstalk with Jonathan Healy on Friday when he had the/a principal of a secondary school in Mayo on discussing how the system works, along with ´prices´.
The principal reckons it will cost , this year, 600 to 650 for the iPad & EBooks (420 for the Ipad and protective screen cover and approx 250 for the ebooks) - He also reckons it would cost 450 for new (paper) books.
There was NO mention of paying for books each year. I´m sure it is just like if you have to buy another book for maths when they reach second year - then you have to do the same with ebooks.
There was some very interesting questions put forward by listeners including who covers the cost of charging the iPads / is there charging allowed in the school - ´We have only had to charge 2 or 3 in the last year´ was his response.
So this is another cost for parents!!

re... : Will ipads or other electronic devices eventually replace schoolbooks?           reply
09/08/2012 14:10 - Schoolbooks / Uniforms
yeah I´am curious how they are going to factor in the children who would be predisposed to Photosensitive Epilepsy .. I myself developed it as a teenager which means I have limited time on a computer in any one day. I think this may increase the likely hood of absence seizures even in children who may not have been diagnosed with epilepsy

discussion forum terms & conditions

;