Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

childminding cost what to charge

re... : childminding cost what to charge           reply
16/11/2015 06:58 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi girls, I am just wondering how much would I charge for minding twin babies (7month) in my own house 8 hours a day. On a daily rate. Mum provides the food.
Thanks.

05/06/2014 11:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
James you def need to pay for the two week ye away...she available to work....however her two weeks..I genuinely feel no, esp as you need to arrange cover etc.....had ye a contract or agreement in place re these kind of things, you could look and see what wss agreed in the first place, perhaps you agreed to it already....

16/05/2011 13:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would completely agree with susie. Nobody likes been underpaid, it is so degrading.

08/03/2014 01:45 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i am looking for after school pickup for my two boys in dublin 12. one finnish at half 1am and the other ar half 2am if you are interested contact me on 0862506822

re : childminding cost what to charge           reply
08/05/2011 16:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi - the normal rate would be €5 per hour for 1st child & about €2.50 for sibling. If you are minding in their home, they have to treat you as an employee etc.

regards

20/08/2014 16:50 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi All,
just wondering if anyone knows the logic behind why once you are using a Nanny that you automatically have to become an employer and take responsibility for paying tax etc? I understand that they can´t mind other children but I don´t understand why that then means you have to take on the responsibility as an employer.
My other half is a self employed consultant but has worked for the same company for over 10 years, he works full time and therefore can not do anymore work (unless he really chose too as a nanny could similarly do) each day but this does not mean the company have to take him on as an employee.
The reason I ask is that we are hoping to take on a part time nanny, 3 days a week 11-5 each day but I really don´t want to register as an employer and take on that kind of responsibility. I´m not looking to pay less than fair wages or anything.

04/06/2014 18:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Do I have to pay my child minder for holidays? She´s going away for two weeks in July and I´m going away for the other two? Is she entitled to be payed? I know that it´s done in crèche but she minds them in her own home. I don´t like the idea of paying for a month for nothing.

03/09/2012 23:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I got offered E10 an hour to look after 3 children! That included picking them up from school, cooking dinner, making sure they tidied up their rooms, supervising homework, play activities, and driving them to different activities, eg swimming, music lessons, etc...needless to say, I turned it down! I´m Not a Slave!

08/03/2014 16:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Tigereyes, I mind 4 kids for 8 euro/hour, but I´m not happy with my wages. May I ask what county do you live in?

16/05/2011 13:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I´m looking for a childminder in my home, one baby, 8 to 5. What should I expect to pay for this do you think? I am based in Cork.

If I use 65 per day as a guideline, is that gross, as in you´d expect I´d deduct PRSI etc from that?

What if I wanted to pay cash and hire the person on a self employed basis, how much would you expect?

To pay 65 per day I need to earn 130.

10/05/2011 14:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi just been following your topic. is 65 a day to cheap to be doing house work and minding kids and doing dinners?

09/05/2011 11:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi - are they teachers children (sounds like the hours) - if you are only going to be minding them during term time, that might be a fair amount as you would be losing out on average 3/4 months of the year with school hols, a lot of teachers only want to pay for when they are being minded, which is a bit unfair if you have to hold the place from June to September etc. I would normally charge €5 for 1st child plus €2.50 for sibling for a full day, but you need to take the above into account if they are teachers children. good luck with your discussions.

childminding cost what to charge           reply
08/05/2011 10:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, i just need a bit off help, ive been asked to mind to kids in co clare aged 8months and 2years from half 8 till 3 monday to friday in there own home. im just wondering what i should charge this lady? would love to here your feed back thanks

16/05/2011 15:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Girls, at the end of the day, if you don´t think you are being offered a ´fair´ rate for the area you live in, then don´t take the child on!

Personally, i mind in my own home (in Dundrum, South Dublin), and charge €5/hour. I mind two babies full-time along with my own 1 year old. I believe this to be a ´fair´ rate. I have no overheads etc, such as a creche would have. It IS below minimum wage, yes, but i don´t feel ´degraded´ by this. At the end of the day, i set the rate (parents can take it or leave it). And you have to be fair to your clients, who are in most cases, all feeling the pinch financially.

I can see why minders would charge more to work in the childrens home, as your earning potential would clearly be capped to the one family in most cases. I would suggest though, that if children are at school for part of the time etc, that a little light cleaning and meal prep for the children is perfectly acceptable. And i would probably charge a little more for such a service.

Its up to you to negotiate with your clients, and have everything written down in your contracts before you commence employment.

10/05/2011 12:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If you are doing housework & making dinners then it is definitely fair, maybe even some more should be given! cleaners alone charge more than that!

20/08/2014 22:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Sorry,
But its the Law,
From a Nanny´s point of view I am protected.
I have employment rights (minimum wage, holiday pay, working hours etc)
It also means I have a right to a contract. But basically am protected by
Employment laws.
Your protected also. The Nanny will have give notice, stick to terms of contract etc
While I completely understand your point(it is a big responsibility)
if you wish to have a qualified, Garda Vetted, Experienced Nanny you don´t have
a choice.

03/08/2014 18:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Do you think a child minder is entitled to be paid holidays, Xmas, easter & summer hols. I´m paying 200e per wk for a 10month old, the child minder isn´t registered & looks after her in her home, I provide the food etc. It was never agreed at the start, I was on the assumption I only paid for the weeks she was actually minding her.

09/05/2011 14:55 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi thanks for your replies, they are not teachers kids. but these are hours ive been giving to mind them and there home, which also means i have to do some house work and cook a family dinner for them to be honest i think this is good rate as wheree else would you get childminder annd cleaner for this rate please let me know what ye think?

15/05/2011 19:50 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i would consider the normal rate (in dublin anyway) to be at least 7 euro an hour and half for every extra sibling. Other childminders I know charge between 7 to 9 euro. Its less than minimum wage but fair enough when taking into consideration the fact that you are doing a sterling job looking after a parent`s most prized possession, on top of drop offs, a little housework , making dinners etc. I was recently working in a household where I found out that the cleaner was earning a higher wage than I was. And I was looking after five children! so it actually irritates me to think that you keep advising people to consider five euro an hour acceptable. It is undermining and belittling what an important and valuable job looking after people`s little ones is. (unless you live in the west where rates are less).

10/03/2014 17:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi everybody,
I have posted before about the same topic.
is a difference between a Nanny and Childminder
Childminder
Works in their own home. Can mind up to 5 children. Pay their own taxes etc
They charge around 5 euro per hour per child (special family rates may apply)
That makes for a potential earning of 25 euro per hour. However they have overheads, food, gas etc
Nanny
Works in childs home. Parents reg as employers. They pay taxes etc. Pay must be national minimum wage.
However based on experience and qualifications a Nanny should expect to earn 450-600 euro per week
Sometimes more.
I understand everybody needs them working to "make sense". There is chilcare for every buget.
You can only afford €5 per hour- then your looking for a childminder. Your child will be cared for by a qualified chilcare worker with other children in there home.
You can afford 20, 000 € annual then you can afford a nanny. A childcare worker who cares for your children in your home.
Theres an option of sharing a nanny. Great for ´cousins´. Nanny can work from both homes.say three days in one and two in another.
Or theres nursery. Up to 1000 euro per child per month full-time.
I would love to see all childcare workers be treated with the respect we deserve. We are educated, qualified people who care for your children. In my opinion one of the most important jobs!!

17/11/2015 22:03 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would recommend that you charge 10euro an hour.. I babysit and I charge that much in county limerick and you are in dublin.. definately you should ask for ten euro..

20/07/2014 07:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi did you get sorted as I am also living in Dublin 12 and doing this type of work

11/03/2014 22:20 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, how is this thread after being resurrected from 2011?

08/05/2011 17:45 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi i have been told be a number off people that i should charge 10 euro an hour or 65a day?? is this to much??

03/08/2014 20:09 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
A childminder doesnt have to be registered if she only looking after 1 or or 3 kids...she may volt notify however....but thats her business. Many house insurance packages cover couple kids childminding also.
did ye not agree terms n conditions before starting...I know I dont charge any hols or bank hols but this is because I only childmind term time only and it suits me to be off hol time with my own children.

09/05/2011 13:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am minding two kids, similar hours for a teacher. I am paid €10 per hour. I do not get paid for holidays so I think this is a fair payment, any less is mean. I also think if you are not paid fairly, it hard to enjoy doing this work, nobody likes to be taken for granted! Also, you are probably feeding them and doing school collections, that all adds up. The kids are fab, so i am really lucky

18/05/2011 11:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, i think €7 - €8 per hour seems to be average payment for 1 child, as childminders can earn upto €15000 without paying tax, prsi etc is not relevant. If baby is to be minded outside the home, i would suggest that you check and agree how many children they would look after. I mind 2 kids for same mum, i treat them as my own, sick days cuddles and kisses and warm drinks etc, I would not be able to mind any more, as i know i would not be able to give my best to any more. It really depends what you are looking for. I know if i had my kids being minded I would love them to feel it was home from home, that is what i try to do. Good luck, remember to tie up all the sticky questions before you start, that way everybody is happy with arrangement.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;