Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

childminding rates

re... : childminding rates           reply
27/04/2009 18:01 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
I´m inclined to agree with ulysses. My children were cared for by a ´qualified´ childminder (who had done a course) and they were subsequently cared for by a mother, who had no course done but was an experienced mother. In my book, the experience the mother had was far more valuable than a part-time course the first lady had completed. There was no comparison between the two minders, even though the first one was ´qualified´.

re : childminding rates           reply
27/04/2009 17:53 - Ask Mother Hen
hi ya im a qualified childminder in the cork area i would charge 30 euros to care for your little one for a full day. im currently carring for a 7month old.im also available for night time babysitting

24/04/2009 17:11 - Ask Mother Hen
I have heard a lot of people talking of late who are just delighted to have work. In the present situation, given that further paycuts are likely, you have to be very careful about setting the pay rates. Once you decide on a rate, it´s difficult to reduce it.

25/04/2009 19:16 - Ask Mother Hen
I agree. Many people I know are just happy to have work at the moment and there seems to be a general feeling that rates of pay are likely to continue to decline. That seems to be the harsh reality at the moment. You can say to the prospective childminder what you can afford to pay. If that´s not acceptable, then you may have to look elsewhere.

19/04/2009 12:11 - Ask Mother Hen
Thanks for the reply,school 5min drive and I would prefer to have the 4 year old to be minded at home.

MGC

03/05/2009 14:53 - Ask Mother Hen
You could learn something also by having a discreet look at the car of the minder. What condition is it in? Has it scrapes and dents? If the car is well cared for , it´s more likely that she´ll take more care driving, perhaps.

13/09/2014 20:02 - Ask Mother Hen
hi how are you I I need somebody mind my son 2 days a week.. my number is 083 1801676 please forward ur number il call u if interested.. thanks

27/04/2009 20:06 - Ask Mother Hen
We had a very similar experience to yours Margaret. The term ´qualified childminder´ can mean a lot of different things. Much depends on the course, the quality of the course, the length of the course, the quality and length of the work experience and also the life experience of the person.
If somebody wants to become a dentist, we all know how that is done - the entry requirements, the length of the course etc etc. Similarly for qualified electricians, solicitors, plumbers, whatever. For childminders, however, somebody doing a part-time course over a short period of time can call themselves ´Qualified´ just as somebody who has done a much longer, more beneficial, more demanding course. My point is therefore that somebody saying they are qualified may mean very little.

27/04/2009 21:36 - Ask Mother Hen
Thanks for the imput regarding childcare rates.One of my many concerns is the driving skill of my childminder as we live in a rural area.Can anyone suggest ways of assessing someones driving without insulting them.

mgs

A childminder in dundalk that i love.           reply
29/03/2013 22:46 - Ask Mother Hen
I 100% prefer a childminder over a creche.. I know of an excellent childminder in dundalk co.louth, she minds the kids in her home and has a great connection with the kids. She is brilliant, she takes them for walks and to local playground to keep them activity, she likes to paint and draw with the children and do activities. She has 16years experience in childminding and is a non smoker, she can drive the kids to school/creche and pick them up. All the children she minded in the past still come round to her to see her. Every parent that had their kids/babies minded by her where very happy with her and they became close friends. She really is a warm loving person and her home is very welcome, she has 5children and one grandchild(newborn baby the grandchild is). I would 100% recommend her to any parent, she is the best childminder I know and it feels great leaving a child in safe hands and knowing when you pick them up they will come home with a smile on their face. I would rate her 11/10, her name is Fiona O´Connor and if anyone is looking for their kids/babies to be minded by a childminder in dundalk, co.louth, I would recommend Fiona :D x

18/04/2009 16:12 - Ask Mother Hen
I read on eumom.ie that E5.00 seems to be the average rate for childminders per hour at the moment.

17/04/2009 16:09 - Ask Mother Hen
Have a look at www.childminding.ie/publications

26/04/2009 15:03 - Ask Mother Hen
I have just seen a few thread om childminding rates on another website called, rollercoaster.ie . They may be of interest to you if you have not already seen them.

03/05/2009 14:50 - Ask Mother Hen
You are better to lay your concerns on the table and ask if the person has a clean driving licence. What safety measures she would use etc etc .

27/04/2009 12:41 - Ask Mother Hen
You make your points very well, S O´Neill. I think everyone agrees with you whole-heartedly, that people should pay as much as they can afford. Your point about qualifications is also a good one but personally, as a parent, I feel that more depends on the actual childminder and the service s/he is offering. I would be happier to pay more to somebody who is kind, conscientious, responsible and pleasant to deal with, than somebody who is not (regardless of qualifications). All others things being exactly equal though, qualifications should then be considered.

06/05/2009 21:27 - Ask Mother Hen
If interested in childcare rates you might like to look at the childcare issues section on rollercoaster.ie . I just saw a few threads on there that may be relevant.

25/04/2009 19:22 - Ask Mother Hen
One need only look at the housing rental market at the moment. I have a friend who was renting a house out for 1200 Euro per month. The tenants asked for a reduction. My friend reduced it to 1100, then 1000. The tenants wanted a further reduction so it was reduced to 950. The tenants want it for 900. It´s a very fine house on which there is a big mortgage. It seems that the person paying for the service holds the aces at the moment. Mind you, when it´s our children involved, it´s very difficult.

13/09/2014 20:54 - Ask Mother Hen
Apologies wrong thread.

24/04/2009 13:51 - Ask Mother Hen
It is obviously going to be more expensive to have a child minded in his or her own home as opposed to the minder´s home where sevral children could be minded together, at the same time.
I hate saying this but I have seen this being discussed on other sites and the the cost of childcare in the context of the recession/paycuts and so on. Many are talking about having to reduce childcare costs and approaching existing childminders to reduce fees. The minimum wage has also been mentioned quite a bit. It is a very tough one and a thorny issue for many at the moment.

24/04/2009 17:00 - Ask Mother Hen
Yes, it seems terrible to be talking about minimum wage. The idea of exploitation springs to mind. Having said that, the minimum wage in this country is pretty high and there have been calls to have it reviewed, in view of the many other economic factors at play at the moment.
Childminding rates depend on where the child is minded and whether or not s/he is minded with other children. Some parents also include school collections and possibly light housework (if the child/ren is to be minded at home).

13/09/2014 20:41 - Ask Mother Hen
From a parents point of view its really important to be upfront and honest..I think in future you should lay your cards in the table from the beginning. .why was she surprised? Surely you would had this conversation with her already? I empatise with both..im apalled at a comment saying children are your business and the parent should not tell you how to run it!!

06/05/2009 08:54 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi again,
I would like to respond to the comments made about ´qualified´ childminders. Speaking as a person who has spent the last eight years studying and working with children and their families, I agree that childcare is far more about the people than the qualifications, however.. if a person has completed a training course they deserve some recognition for it. I do not suggest that a piece of paper automatically means that someone is capable of looking after children, but it goes someway towards maintaining a standard of care. In any other industry, qualifications and personal apptitude towards a job are used when considering someone for a position. Within the childcare sector however, staff are underpaid and undervalued.
For these reasons many of the best childcare workers become ´burnt out´, or leave for financial reasons.
I ask the question, how many other jobs would offer their staff 5 euro per hour??
S

15/09/2014 08:44 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi how are you,, I am looking for a lady to mind my son 2 days a week.. please contact me as need somebody urgent my number is 083 1801676 or send me your number I have free calls to ring you,, regards margaret

13/09/2014 20:41 - Ask Mother Hen
From a parents point of view its really important to be upfront and honest..I think in future you should lay your cards in the table from the beginning. .why was she surprised? Surely you would had this conversation with her already? I empatise with both..im apalled at a comment saying children are your business and the parent should not tell you how to run it!!

17/04/2009 16:05 - Ask Mother Hen
Presume the person would be minding your 4 year old in their own home?

24/04/2009 12:58 - Ask Mother Hen
I heard that to mind a child in your home (considering that it would be exclusively your chiild being minded), then 10 Euro would be the going rate.

17/04/2009 16:05 - Ask Mother Hen
Is the school far from your home?

childminding rates           reply
17/04/2009 15:50 - Ask Mother Hen (Locality: Cork)
Hi,

I am looking for someone to be available for morning school runs and mind a 4 year old for 4 hours in the afternoon. They would provide their own transport.

How much should I expect to be paying someone for this?

Thanks

06/05/2009 10:47 - Ask Mother Hen
The point that is being made, son, is that there are qualifications and there are qualifications. Somebody doing a course, one night a week for 5 weeks can and does call themselves ´qualified´ which is very unfair on people who have full-time courses done and relevant experience, like yourself.
Similarly, people apply for jobs as Special Needs Assistants, with very different ´qualifications´ yet can sy they are ´qualified´.

25/11/2014 22:07 - Ask Mother Hen
Im glad i came across this section as i can express my views on this topic. As a childminder who has studied childcare in college & is working in childcare as a fulltime career it makes me frustrated to be expected in some cases to work a full 8+ hour day for 5euro an hour,not even minimum wage! When if you were to put a child in a creche it would be far far more than this. I understand that parents in many cases simply cannot afford to pay more however i think it needs to be highlighted also that for alot of minders such as myself this is not just some extra pocket money like you would get babysitting this is their livelyhood and it is disgusting to think someone is expected to live on this. Looking after a persons child holds a huge amount of responsibility and therefore minders should be paid respectfully for minding peoples pride and joy.

06/02/2013 11:19 - Ask Mother Hen
I think myself creches charge anything from 40 or 50 a day
And also charge when the child is out sick.
At least with a childminder kids get more attention
And there not getting sick as much.
I would prefer a childminder.
People prefer putting there kids in creches
Why ??? And paying high rates and there prone to infections.
Childminders should be paid a good rate, & not be taking advantage of.
At the end of the day, it´s a safer healthy envirorment unlike creches which are unhealthy for kids.

19/04/2009 13:02 - Ask Mother Hen
If the minder is going to have to come to your home, that would exclude her from minding any other child. You may also want her to do some housework in your home, so that would all have to be taken into consideration.

27/04/2009 08:46 - Ask Mother Hen
Hi,
I just read your thread, and as a qualified childcare worker Iwould like to point out one or two things:
The rate of pay should depend on the qualifications and experience of the person you are employing. Even though these are difficult times for everyone, a childminder has an extremely responsible job and is generally very poorly paid. I would suggest you should pay someone as much as you can afford.
I work for 10euro per hour. I do not do any cleaning, however I would like to point out that most private cleaners are being paid 12 - 15 euro per hour!!
Hope this helps...
Please contact me if you wish!!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;