Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

forgot to put my child name down in school early enough

forgot to put my child name down in school early enough           reply
19/03/2007 16:33 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem my two other children go this school and for some unbelieveable reason I missed the date for taking my youngest name and the head has told us there is no room for him unless someone drops out I am really upset because she has said I must enrol him in another school which means he will not be with the children in our area and he will make his communion in another church not the one he was christened in. I am a working mom so it means I will be making two drops in the morning and I have no one to pick him up as my sisters children all go to the same school and she would collect him for me I would love to know what my rights are and if anyone else has had this problem

re : forgot to put my child name down in school early enough           reply
19/03/2007 16:57 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Don´´t envy you that problem Karen. I know a number of mums who had a similar problem last year in our school, i.e. had siblings in the school and forgot to put down the name of their youngest child. Principal was quite strict like your own and said the ´late´ applications would only be considered after all places were offered and someone dropped out. (Don´t think you have any particular rights to a place in a school , even if siblings are there, unless you comply with school´s application process). As it turned out a few did drop out as they had their names down in other schools and accepted other places so the problem was resolved. While I would go ahead and put his name down for other schools, I wouldn´t give up hope yet as for all kinds of reasons someone may drop out before next september. It would be useful to find out if you are ranked at any particular number on a waiting list so you would have a better idea of the odds, ie. do you only need one to drop out or ten! Good luck, I hope you get a place

re : forgot to put my child name down in school early enough           reply
23/03/2007 17:36 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Glad I´m not the only forgetful mum around. I´m in the same boat as you. Doesn´t seem to be anything we can do but wait it out. let me know if you come up with any bright ideas in the meantime. Hope you get a place.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;