Course Ref: SD0420
Learning, Mindfulness, Wellness and Fun
This course will explore the benefits of yoga, mindfulness and meditation for both physical and cognitive development of your pupils and provide you with the skills and knowledge to implement the yÓGa4kids programme.
The course will also facilitate integrate yoga teaching and mindfulness into other curricular areas. At the end of the course you will have a downloadable yÓGa4kids programme to use with your class.
No previous knowledge or experience of yoga practice is required to enjoy this course
The Yoga4Kids course will enable you to develop the skills and confidence to teach yoga, mindfulness and meditation to the students in your class thereby contributing to the Wellbeing Framework for Practice in your school
On completion of the course you will have gained:
- a greater understanding of the concept of wellbeing and how it can be taught on a daily basis without compromising other curricular areas
- an awareness of the link between physical activity and academic attainment which will enhance the learning experiences of the pupils and the quality of instruction of the teachers
- an understanding of the core and critical role that schools play in the promotion of wellbeing for pupils.
- an increased skillset in the practical teaching of YOGA movement (poses), meditation and mindfulness and an awareness of the importance of these skills play in creation of a positive learning environment.
- physical and wellness benefits from doing the programme
- ideas on how to implement a targeted movement/wellness programme, on a whole school basis , as part of a school improvement plan within the context of the School Self-Evaluation process.
Module 1 Wellbeing & Yoga.
Participants will have an understanding of:
Module 2 The Yogic Classroom.
- Importance of wellbeing in the school community and the role schools play as centre for the promotion of wellbeing for children
- Ithe impact of implementation of a wellbeing programme and children’s academic performance and their full potential in school
- Ia brief synopsis and background information about yoga and its history
Participants will have:
Module 3 Yoga in Action
- an awareness of the benefits of practicing yoga for teachers and students
- an awareness regarding research which indicates the beneficial role of yoga in relation to academic performance
- an awareness of the benefits of mindfulness for children
- an understanding how to create a mindful classroom and how to promote mindfulness through their teaching
Participants will acquire:
Module 4 The yÓga Flow
- a knowledge of how to practice a sun salutation with children
- an understanding of how to utilise rhyme and story to teach yoga
- the skills to teach simple partner yoga to children
- a knowledge and understanding about meditation & breathing techniques and how to practice both with children
- be familiar with the six step school evaluation process in relation to implementing a whole school approach to wellbeing and with the quality framework for primary schools from the School Self-Evaluation Guidelines 2016-2020 in the context of implementing a daily wellbeing programme
Module 5 The yÓga Flow & Curriculum Integration
- feel confident to teach poses 1 to 24 of the yÓGa flow and how they can be adapted to the various class standards
- gain knowledge and understanding of yoga games and how to incorporate them into a yoga programme
- an understanding of how to build a school yoga community with an emphasis on inclusivity for all students
- understand the impact of yoga as a school wide positive behaviour support
- feel confident to teach exercises 25 to 36 of The yÓGa Flow and how they can be adapted to the various class standards
- be aware of the online ICT resources available to support the teaching of yoga to kids & using available technology in your school to encourage the children to create their own yoga programme for their school and their peers
- be enabled to plan and integrate yoga with curricular areas including literacy, numeracy, SPHE, PE, music, art etc…
This course has been approved by the Department of Education & Skills as part of the 2020 Courses programme for Primary Teachers and will be available to access from 1st July to 21st August 2020
On completion of the course qualifying teachers will receive a CPD Certificate and will qualify for 3 EPV Days.
The course is also open from 1st July to SNAs, Secondary School Teachers, Childcare Workers, Childminders and Parents who feel that they may benefit from the course
Our Support team are on hand to answer all your queries, either by phone or e-mail.
Check your Course Homepage
Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions