Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminder rate query

Childminder rate query           reply
14/10/2018 01:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi just wondering what your thoughts are on this paymemt to a childminder. 3 children one is 2 for which I pay €5 per hour for the following hours
Mon: 9:15 -4:00
Tue 7:45-3:00
Wed off
Thur: 7:45 - 4:30
Friday 7:45 - 3:00 total per week = €155

The two school children hours as follows;
Mon - 1:30 -2:30 for child 1 @€5
2:30- 400 for child 1&2 @€12

Tue: 7:45-8:45 for child 1&2 @€8
1:30-3:00 for child 1 @€7:50

Wed - off

Thur- 7:45-8:45 for child 1&2 @8
1:30-2:30 for child 1@€5
2:30- 4:30 for child 1&2 @€18

Fri- 7:45-8:45 for child 1&2 @€8
1:30-2:30 for child 1@€5
2:30-3:30 for child 1&2 @€8

Total per week x 4 days €85

So €155 & €85 =€240 for four days

Childminder is not registered or insured.
No petrol costs
I will provide all food which she will make

Am I being fair?

Thanks

re : Childminder rate query           reply
14/10/2018 18:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Im assuming she´s a childminder in her own home.
240e cash for four days, I´d say she´ll snap your hand off depending on your location and if she has a need for undeclared income. Short day too. A new inexperienced childminder may have totally unrealistic value on her service though. Many believe its nanny rates of min wage per hr, per child even. Have you asked her her rate first? Has she other minded kids, the unregistered are often over ratio.
Look for an insured childminder, safest route and your kids will benefit from a professional service in so many ways. Insurance to childmind can be free, car insurance if needed few 100e depending on car.

re... : Childminder rate query           reply
14/10/2018 19:09 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes Childminder in her own home with a number of other children there. It is cash in hand. Is there a way to tell if a childminder is registered? Thanks for info

re : Childminder rate query           reply
16/10/2018 22:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi
I am a registered, Garda vetted, fully insured, first aid qualified childminder. I also have a QQI level 5 in Early Childhood Care and Education.
That is approx. what I would charge for the hours and days you require so for an unregistered childminder that is more than fair.
I have to agree that a registered childminder is the best way to go. Try Childminding Ireland or your local Childcare Committee

re... : Childminder rate query           reply
16/10/2018 22:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
There is no problem with actually paying in cash or a childminder accepting cash, it´s the undeclaring of it. However the tax affairs of a childminder are really no ones business but her own also.
However its the insurance you need look for and is worth paying for to protect your children.
Plus the "number" of children needs looking at, the unregistered are very often over ratio, due to lower rates charged and so safety and quality is compromised. Ask for what children/ages will attend on your three children days. A childminder can´t have more than 6 kids minded at anyone time in a family home, over 6 and planning permission is needed, up to three preschoolers is called notified, four/five preschoolers Tusla registered and inspected like any creche.
Ring childminding Ireland and your county childcare committee and see if her name is on their lists. Any registered childminder will advertise as such though so its easy find them locally. The black market are the hidden ones.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;