Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Every day struggles of being a Male in Childcare

Every day struggles of being a Male in Childcare           reply
22/06/2015 22:29 - Dublin South Childminders
-----------------------------------
Hey all don´t want to come across like I am going on a rant but just wanted to talk about the difficulties males in Childcare face . Working in an area considered to be only for females is never an easy task despite being as dedicated and passionate about the job we do we are judged and looked at as being a potential danger to any child or children in our care some see only male as potential abusers of children which is fare from the truth . Male staff go through the very same training and vetting process as our female colleges . If you have watched the Prime Time show on Crèches you would have seen that the staff involved were in fact all female .

Males in Childcare give a different prospective we look at things differently and can being new ideas and views . We act as positive male role models to both Boys and girls especially where a male figure is absent . We enjoy taking part in all sports and outdoors games . We provide encouragement and support to the children in our care female colleges and parents . Unfortunately we live in a society that views men as being potential abuses and a danger to children yet so many males are great fathers and care gives . It´s sad to think that if I was out in the park with my daughter and seen another child in trouble I would be afraid to intervene for fear of others thinking the worst . Thanks for taking the time out to read my post . I hope it has given some ideas of what us males in Childcare face on a day to day basis . Kind regard Matt

re... : Every day struggles of being a Male in Childcare           reply
24/06/2015 14:05 - Dublin South Childminders
I know what you mean and many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time out to reply to my post . Yes there are many females that work in childminding that are on very little pay and who are taken advantage of hopefully in time that will change

re : Every day struggles of being a Male in Childcare           reply
24/06/2015 11:38 - Dublin South Childminders
Hi Matt,
Is there any chance you would be interested in a term time position. I´m a teacher and I´m pretty sure my little boy would love a male minder!
Helen

re : Every day struggles of being a Male in Childcare           reply
23/06/2015 19:40 - Dublin South Childminders
You sound like a wonderful caregiver Matt and I sympathise with your situation, but women have been facing prejudice in the workplace since the beginning of civilisation, and even now the top echelons in business, politics etc are still very much dominated by men. I would imagine most of the users of this site are female who frequently face prejudice and discrimination so its probably not the best place to seek support. By the way there are lots of fab female childminders who are struggling to earn a living too.

re... : Every day struggles of being a Male in Childcare           reply
24/06/2015 14:08 - Dublin South Childminders
Hey Helen many thanks for taking the time out to comment on my post if you want to contact me on 0863944136 we can discuss it further kind regards Matt

discussion forum terms & conditions

;