Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

rate for hours 8.45 to approx 3.15

re : rate for hours 8.45 to approx 3.15           reply
11/03/2011 19:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
FYI - In my experience, nearly all childminders have it in their contract with the client that they still get paid if the parent chooses not to send the child (due to illness, holidays regardless). This is how i operate.

Most will not charge for time when the service cannot be provided (due to illness, holidays etc). This is also how i operate.

re... : rate for hours 8.45 to approx 3.15           reply
01/03/2011 16:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thanks for that, I thought it was a fair rate just that when I said the rate to the Mom I think she thought it was too much sometimes I think some people think you should just take care of them nothing, Also its the days as its a Mon and a thurs hard to fill the other days, and also there will be alot of Bank holiday mondays coming and will only charge for one day.

11/03/2011 17:58 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just a quick question do you look after the kids in your own home or do you mind them at their place.

03/03/2011 22:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
reply for Dundrum Childcare, I am Garda Vetted, Registered and Insured, also how do you operate if someone looks for 2 days per week, Mon and thurs, what do you do when it comes to a Bank holiday mon, do you charge as most other creches do, My rate might be high in your view, but when you take into consideration I only charge when I am required it then balances out the monthly outgoings. Most creches would not operate that way they get paid 52 weeks per year, even when a child is sick.

11/03/2011 17:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Creches charge for 52 weeks a year so if you go on holiday and take your child out you still pay....if your child is sick (which i might add will be often as they pick up everything in creches) you still have to pay even though they are not in the creche! Childcarers care for the children no matter what happens and the days they do not work they do not get paid.

So going back to the question yes i think 50 euro is a good rate.

01/03/2011 20:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi Karen,

I totally agree with you, your rate is very fair considering how flexiable you are being. I know what you mean about the Mom thinking it was too much though. I was minding two children for four years and the Mom reduced my pay when the youngest one started playschool even though I had to drop him and collect him, but her attitude was that I was having three hours off. The only problem was that when he was on Easter hols she didnt think that she needed to pay me extra cause I wasnt having my three hours off ! Good Luck with your Mom. My advice would be make sure you both know what is expected re holidays or sick days so that you wont feel hard done by.

03/03/2011 00:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
FYI creche rates are about 1000pm (for one child and usually discounts for more) at an average of 20 full days per month with 5 meals of fresh food and the hours of 7.30 to 6.30; so breaking that down you should be expecting to charge 30-35 euro per day. Childcarers need to consider that if the cost are too high there is no point in the parent(s)working if their salary after taxes only covers the childcare costs!!! Sorry but this is reality.

12/03/2011 12:50 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would completely agree with above. If you are minding in the childs own home your earning potential is obviously greatly decreased. (Although i only mind 2 full time along with my own daughter).

Parents should bear this in mind when negotiating a fee for care within their OWN home, and expect to pay a slightly higher premium for, as you quite correctly say, more 1 to 1 time with the minder!

03/03/2011 19:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would charge a flat rate of €5/hr, regardless of fulltime or parttime. This would work out at approx €35/day. I personally think €50 is a little steep.

Many childminders do not pay tax. If you´re taking payment ´under the table´ so to speak, i think you should expect to charge a little less. Wether you are registered, insured and garda vetted could affect how much parents would be willing to pay also.

And the reasoning that children get more 1 on 1 care with a childminder could be slightly misleading, as many childminders take on their full quota, so the minders attention could be spilt amongst 5 children under the age of 6.

01/03/2011 15:23 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would think that rate is fair. Considering it is regarded as a full day, because you would not get anyone from 3.15pm up to 6pm.

03/03/2011 17:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
You get more one to one care from a childminder, it depends on what you want as a parent, creche or homecare? The choice is theirs.

11/03/2011 21:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am not talking about a childminder minding children in their own home I am talking about a childminder going to the clients home to mind the children.

If a child is being minded in the childminders house i think the terms and conditions are very different and in that case 30 - 35 euro for a full day would be more than enough and 50euro is too high.

I have many friend who childmind in their own home and charge 30-40euro a day depending on educational levels.

I myself mind 2 children 3days a week in their own home and therefore charge a higher price as i have travelling costs and 1 to 1 interaction with the children.

04/03/2011 10:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi Karen,

When it comes to Bank/Public holidays, I charge a supplement of €1.50/hr, taking the rate to €6.50/hour (unless I have booked to take the day off of course).

I currently have one child on a ´casual´ contract. Her parents both work shifts. The mother lets me know on a Sunday evening what days she requires for the next week. It could be a Tues, Thurs, Sat or Sun. Some weeks she needs all 4 days. Some weeks she needs none. But she´s still charged the same as everyone else.

I work on the agreement that I have 4 weeks holidays per year (I do NOT charge for my time off). Parents can take as many weeks off as they wish, but I am still paid for that time.

I agree that creches charges are a bit steep, but i suppose they have staff overheads etc, that we do not. At the end of the day, if you have a contract in place, charging that rate, and your client is happy...then quids in for you! :)

rate for hours 8.45 to approx 3.15           reply
01/03/2011 11:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi anyone, just checking what daily rate you would charge, It a teachers child two days a week a mon and a thurs from about 8.45 till 3.15, please take into consideration only charging for days I work so totally flexible, not charging for hols so only term time, wont get paid bank holidays and her days off so only would when needed so i suggested 50 euro per day do you think this is too much considering i only get paid when she needs me.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;