- Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

username: password: Log in | Register | Forgot Password?

Concern about a Teacher Bullying

If you have a complaint or a concern about a teacher in your child's school, it is appropriate in most cases to firstly try and resolve the issue by talking with the teacher and/or the Principal. Every school is obliged to have a very specific policy on dealing with bullying and you should also ask to view a copy of the policy. If the issue remains unresolved you can opt to make a formal complaint.

Making a Formal Complaint

View INTO/CPMSA Complaints Procedure Guidelines for Primary Schools

View ACCS, ASTI and TUI Code of Practice for Processing Complaints Made by Parents / Guardians or Students ( age of 18 years +) Against a Teacher in Community and Comprehensive Schools

Unhappy with the outcome of a school investigation

If following an investigation at school level you remain unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Department of Education and Skills on 090 6484099. While the Dept of Education and Skills does not have legal powers to instruct schools to follow a particular course with regard to individual complaints or to investigate individuals complaints, the Department will advise you on what further options are open to you. These options will include:

Further Information

The Teaching Council has published a Draft Code of Professional Conduct for Teachers in September 2011. It is envisaged that the Teaching Council will be in a position to investigate complaints regarding teacher conduct or acting contrary to the Code of Professional Conduct when Part 5 of the Teaching Council Act is commenced by the Minister for Education and Skills.  There has been a technical obstacle to the implementation of Part 5 and it is hoped that this will be resolved by mid to late 2012.