Posted by Sally O'Brien on 06/08/2014. Tags: Parenting
A United Airlines flight bound for New York had to return to Dublin Airport yesterday after a young girls fell ill after a suspected anaphylactic shock. According to the Irish Examiner yesterday, passengers on-board the flight said that a nine-year-old girl from the US became anaphylactic after a suspected nut allergy.
The Irish Examiner writes: ‘It is believed the girl had never shown any signs of an allergy before.
One passenger said the pilot announced that there was an emergency and asked if there were any doctors or nurses on board.
They said: "Two people came forward to help. Her face looked quite puffed up and she was obviously in distress.
"It appeared to be quite desperate at one point but then it calmed down when she was given an injection."
Peanut allergies are the most common of all food allergies and can cause severe potentially fatal allergic reaction (anaphylactic). People with allergies are asked to carry an epinephrine auto-injector
(such as an EpiPen®, Auvi-Q® or Adrenaclick®) at all times.
The flight is said to be rescheduled for this afternoon.